If you want more than one person to be charged when a service occurs (e.g. a claim and a patient co-payment) or if you want to charge multiple services for a single visit (e.g. you do both a wound dressing and flu vaccine), you can group services.
Group services when they always occur together. Alternatively, you can group services when they commonly occur together so that when you charge that group e.g. Accident, you will be given the option of selecting which one(s) of many services were performed in this case e.g. wound dressing and/or stitches and/or amputation.
A service fee can be set up using 3 levels:
Setting up a group with multiple services
Select Account Setup in the Accounts menu.
Set up the service type
Move to the Service Types tab. Scroll down the list to check whether the service you want is already set up.
If not, click on the highlighted grey line to add a service.
Report class: government classifications.,You may leave this blank or use the drop-down menu to nominate the correct one.
Organisation: the account holder.,If this Service Type is to be charged to the patient themselves, leave this field blank. If this Service Type is to be charged to a specific organisation such as a company, click in the Organisation column and type in the organisation name.
Organisation type: a category or type of organisation e.g. Insurance Company or Employer.,You can leave this blank. If you wish to include an organisation type that is already set up, choose it from the drop-down menu. If it is a new type, move to the Organisation Types tab and press [Add]. A blank row will appear. Type in the name of the Organisation Type. Return to the Service Types tab and select it from the drop-down menu. If an organisation type has been nominated in this column, when the Group button is pressed in the POS screen, a list of organisations of that type will appear and the practitioner must choose the appropriate one to bill. Note: Before billing something that requires you to choose an appropriate organisation, ensure that you have set up that organisation first or it will not appear in the list for you to choose from. To set up, see Organisations (Address Book) above.
Invoice type: any special requirements for the invoice for this service.,You can leave this blank in which case only standard invoicing information will be printed in a standard format. Some organisations or government departments require invoices to be in a particular format or to include particular information. If you wish to include an Invoice Type that is already set up, choose it from the drop-down menu. If it is a new type, move to the Invoice Type tab and press [Add]. A new row will appear with the default code New Invoice Type. Type in a code, which will appear in the drop-down menu in the Service Types tab. Fill in the details of this new Invoice Type. Return to the Service Types tab and select it from the drop-down menu.
Rules: Items in the Rules column are standard in My Practice.,Some claims cannot be made if you have not collected certain information regarding the patient or unless certain information is included in the claim itself. These requirements are imposed by nominating the relevant Rule in this column. If this information is incomplete when this Service Type is charged for in the POS screen, you will be prompted to complete it. You may leave this blank, otherwise choose the Rule from the drop-down menu.
Duplicates: whether or not a patient can be charged more than once for the same service type on the same day.,This field asks whether you wish to be prompted when you charge the same patient with the same Service Type on the same day. “No” means that the same charge cannot be made more than once on the same day. “Yes” means it can be made on the same day. “Ask” means that a message will appear to ask whether you wish to proceed in creating the duplicate charge.
If you are sent a file with fees already set up or you have downloaded one from the website, use the [Import] button. Select that file to Open and it will be added to your Service Type list.
If you wish to send the file to another practice or backup the file, use the [Export] button to Save the file elsewhere.
Now set up the fees for that service type
1. Once you have set up your new service types, move to the Fees tab.
2. Click on the grey line to add a new fee. Choose the required service type from the pop-up window.
3. A new line will be created with your service type in the Service column.
N.B. fees with existing rules are highlighted in bright blue. Dark blue fees do not contain any rules (services that carry the same charges for all patients).
You need to set up fees to be associated with this service type.
- $0 is shown by default in the fees field. Enter the fee you wish to charge the patients who fit the rule you are about to create. You can enter the GST exclusive amount (in the Fee column) OR the GST Inclusive amount in the next column. Once you enter one, the program will automatically calculate the other.
- The Reference column may be left blank. If the Account Holder requires a particular reference code enter it here. For example, this code will be included on any claims generated by this Service Type.
- Def Qty refers to the Default Quantity that you want to be recorded. This may be units for something like vaccines in which case you write e.g. 1 OR it could be in minutes for a consultation in which case you write e.g. 10.
- If you tick Details, when you charge this item in the POS screen, you will be asked to confirm the transaction details. This is useful, for example, when a regular consultation takes 10 minutes but you spend 20 minutes with a patient. You can then alter the price as you wish or change the quantity to 2. If there is a fixed amount, for example for governmental claims, do not tick the Details box.
- The default in the Tax column is S (standard). This will apply to most, if not all fees, however it can be overwritten by clicking in the field.
You will need to create a new fee for every different rule you require e.g. Create one Consultation service fee which says if the patient is under 5 years old and they are seen by a doctor, they will be charged $5 for this service. Create one Consultation service fee which says if the patient is 6-17 years old and they are seen by a doctor, they will be charged $15 for this service.
This way, when Consultation is selected in the POS screen, the program will determine which fee applies by referring to the rules you create. You must take care to set up the fees in such a way that only one fee can apply at any one time.
1. To create the rule that you want associate with this fee, click the [+] for that row.
2. A blank row will appear in grey - click on this line to add a rule. Note: that any of these sub-rows you use do not conform to the column headings in that main table.
The first field must either be left blank or "Not" can be selected from the drop down menu. If it is blank, it means that the rule must be true e.g. Between ages 6 and 17 for this fee to apply. If you select NOT, it means the rule must be untrue for this fee to apply i.e. NOT between the ages 6 and 17.
The second field in that row contains a drop-down menu which allows you to choose the type of requirement you wish to create.
- Use Between Ages if you have a range e.g. 6-17 years.
- Use Between Dates or Between Months if you have a special fee for a certain limited time.
- Use Between Times if you have different fees depending on times of day e.g. after hours. You could also use Day of Week for similar purposes.
- Use Chart Type if you have a different fee for Regulars and Visitors etc.
- Use Gender if the fee differs depending on Gender.
- Use In Scheme where the fee differs depending on whether the patient is involved in a scheme. If you wish to refer to a Scheme that is not included in the list, move to the Schemes tab and press [Add]. A blank row will appear. Type in the name of the Scheme and a description. Return to the Fees tab and select it from the drop-down menu.
- Use Occupation where you wish to charge differently depending on which type of service provider sees the patient e.g. a different consult fee for a Nurse and for a Doctor.
- Use Practitioner if different practitioners in your practice charge different fees for the same service.
Note: As soon as you enter any value into the row, another grey row will automatically be created below. You do not have to use this row.
The third and fourth fields are where you enter the value that the rule is to recognize. If you select any of the Between options, you must enter a range.
- If you select the Between Ages options in the first field, the third field is where you enter the first number in the range. Enter the last number in the range in the fourth field. For example, if you want the rule to apply to Between the ages of 6 and 17, enter Between Ages in the first field, Blank in the second field, 6 in the third field and 17 in the fourth field.
- If you select Between Dates, the third field is where you enter the starting date (use the drop-down calendar provided or just type in the date) and the fourth field is where you enter the ending date.
- If you select Between Months, Chart Type, Gender, In Scheme or Practitioner, the third field will become a drop-down box from which you can select the correct option.
- If you select Occupation (of the Service Provider) in the first field, the third field is highlighted pink, meaning it is a search field. You can type in the occupation you want, press enter and choose one from the search results provided. Note: Make sure you enter the exact same Occupation that is listed for that Service Provider in their Staff (Users) setup.
Enter the next requirement in the next row until you are finished entering the requirements for this fee to apply. If you create a row that you do not wish to keep, highlight it and press delete.
If a different fee should apply in different circumstances, create another fee. Choose the same Service Type as before, but enter a different fee amount and the appropriate rules as before. Repeat as many times as necessary.
You can open out multiple fees at once if you wish to compare the requirements for each.
Now set up a group containing the service types you have created
1. Move to the Services tab.
2. Click on the top grey line to add a group.
3. A blank line will be created in the Group table on the left hand side. Fill in the name of the group e.g. Consultation or Full Check-up. This name is what will appear in the Other Services list in the POS screen.
The second column in the Group table is labelled Pick. You must select one of the 3 options:
4. All – when you click on the Group in the POS screen, all of the Service Types included in this group will be charged.
One - when you click on the Group in the POS screen, you will be given a list of the Service Types included in this group and you can pick only one to be charged.
Many - when you click on the Group in the POS screen, you will be given a list of the Service Types included in this group and you can pick one or more that are to be charged.
5. To add a service type, press [Services in Group]. A pop up window will appear, where you can tick services that you want in the group. If you have set up any new Service Types they will also show up in this list.
6. If you wish to remove a service type, press [Services in Group] and deselect the service type.
7. When you have a Service Type highlighted in the centre column, the fees for that Service Type are displayed in the table on the right hand side. If there is more than one fee for that Service Type, they will appear as a list.
8. If you need to edit something, double click on the Fee or Service in the lists to move to that particular fee or service in the Fees and Service Type tabs respectively.
9. Press [Finish] to save.